AGM and AGM GEL Technology Introduction
AGM Technology sealed lead acid batteries (Absorbent Glass Material) are made with compressed separators in fine glass fibers.
GEL Technology sealed lead acid batteries are made with gelled electrolyte and separators en micro porous duopolistic (UKB batteries are in genuine GEL).
In these two technologies, the batteries are with gas recombination (the oxygen produced with the positive plate is recombined with the emanating hydrogen of the negative plate and they produce water which is mixed with the electrolyte).
These two types of batteries have its advantages and disadvantages. It is very important to choose the right battery for the application
Advantages of AGM batteries:
- Ideal for starting and stationary applications.
- Superior performance for shorter duration / higher current discharges.
- Smaller size battery can be used for higher rate discharges.
Advantages of GEL batteries:
- Ideal for repeat cycling daily use.
- Excellent performance over long discharges • Good tolerance to higher temperature applications
- Suitable where mains power is unstable
- Zero stratification due to immobilized electrolyte
- No equalization charge necessary • Reduced self-discharge
- Limiting design protects the positive plates to greatly improve cycle life
- Thicker plates for reduced grid corrosion and increased cycle life • Improved charge acceptance due to low internal resistance
- High resistance to water loss with the right charging set up
- Ultra stable polymer separator with glass mat for increased performance
- High resistance to shorting due to superior mechanical strength of the polymer separator
- Increased tolerance to poor charging parameters
- Can be discharged even when full recharge has not been achieved, without loss of battery capacity